Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cake Decorating Part 2

This past holiday season, I decided to take advantage of the fact we were going to host ALL of the gatherings and use it to as my inaugural pass at full-on cake decorating.  I came up with a simple design (a present)and decided I would make it twice - 1 for each side of the family. Here's the pictorial "journey" if you will. 


1 box worth of chocolate cake baked in a 8 X 13 and cut in half.  Butter-cream vanilla frosting in between the layers - nice and thickly applied


Fresh cut strawberries - an extra touch.  (Jenni's idea)


Dirty frosting layer.


Fondant.  I bought the store-version (Wilton)  I kneaded it then rolled it out using powdered sugar so it wouldn't stick to any surface.  This took awhile.


Draped it over the cake - this was a tough step, I think I'll get better with practice.



I took the remaining fondant and died it red.  This is hard too and required gloves so I wouldn't have red hands well into the spring. 


Rolled it out and began to cut strips to make the ribbon. 


Began draping and adhering the ribbon to the cake with butter-cream.



Died the remaining butter-cream to pipe on accents to the finished cake.



There you have it.  I think it was a good start.  I liked using Fondant but I need to find a better tasting option.  I knew going into it that the store-bought stuff is not yummy.  Making my own sounds DAUNTING but we'll see what happens.  Better fondant might also be slightly easier to manipulate as well.  I will blog about my next endeavor - which was supposed to be a Valentines Day cake - but I haven't even created a design yet and we're like 2 weeks away.  Maybe St. Patty's Day...  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment